“Spay/neuter” is more than a surgical procedure; it’s the solution. Compassion makes perfect sense! Please join us today!
Why spay/neuter is an urgent message…
- The most basic step in caring for a pet is having her spayed or neutered.
- Roughly eight million unwanted pets enter shelters in the U.S. each year. Millions more are born, never to be counted. Most that enter shelters do not come out alive, shelters are bursting at the seams and animal abandonment is a nationwide crisis.
- Building bigger shelters is an outdated response that does not prevent animal suffering. Over two billion dollars are spent in the U.S. each year on animal control (collection, housing and disposal), while only a tiny fraction of that is spent on preventing unplanned litters.
- Affordability and convenient access are the greatest roadblocks to timely spay/neuter.
- When it comes to pets, the experience for the child in poverty is glaringly different from those in wealthy communities. When basic care is out of range, neglect often becomes the ‘default mode,’ and it is passed from one generation to the next.
- Effective spay/neuter programs are developed community by community. Together, we can prevent the quiet catastrophe of unwanted litters.
- Spay FIRST! brings years of experience to the table to enable underserved communities to know “where to start” to solve pet problem.