ABOUT SPAY FIRST!
Spay FIRST! is a non-profit 501(C)(3) organization that was incorporated in Oklahoma, U.S. in 2010. Our group was founded by a small body of like-minded of spay/neuter advocates and friends dedicated to the belief that compassion means preventing animal suffering before it begins.
Animals in chronic poverty were our focus from day one. Companion animal overpopulation hits the poorest communities the hardest; it impacts at-risk youth who learn to live with neglect as a part of everyday life. It is a tragic, downward spiral. Spay FIRST! Board President Charlie Hatfield explains, “The status quo of neglect, cruelty and eradication is socially, economically and morally corrosive to our global community. The most fragile communities are hit the hardest.”
Over the years, we have mentored the development of innovative spay/neuter programs specifically designed for this overlooked demographic. Our programs are working models for communities around the world.
In 2013 we took our vision for preventing animal suffering to the next level. We partnered with government agencies to support studies and run trials on efficacy and safety of fertility control compounds that are patented in the public domain. From inception to final approval, these products must be cost effective and dedicated to reaching the poor.
In addition to mentoring innovative spay/neuter programs in underserved areas, we are now leaders in research into non-surgical fertility control options for dogs. We are hard at work to make these options available to other species as well.
The issues facing people in chronic poverty impact the animals that share their lives. Spay FIRST! brings discussion and direct action to the forefront in order to reduce animal suffering and create a much brighter tomorrow. Our organization is made up of passionate and informed professionals with a broad range of expertise.
Our Chief Scientific Officer, Jeff Kemp, PhD holds a strong background in the field of research on non-surgical fertility control options.
Our board of directors is made up of experts in veterinary medicine, research, business and animal welfare.
Our advisory board brings leaders in animal welfare, veterinary medicine, community service advocacy and legal expertise to the table.
Please contact us for more information and to join us in our efforts.
Spay FIRST! provides underserved communities effective solutions to prevent animal suffering due to overpopulation.
What We Do:
Spay FIRST! operates under a two-fold mission. First, is to educate the public about the impact of pet overpopulation on both animals and the communities they live in. Second, is to develop and strengthen innovative, successful surgical and non-surgical spay/neuter models in order to serve the communities who need it the most.
We Implement Our Mission By:
- Promoting spay/neuter and public education as the first strike in halting companion animal suffering worldwide.
- Promoting research, development and expansion of both surgical and non-surgical sterilization programs in accordance with principles set forth by the OIE (World Organization for Animal Health).
- Promoting active partnerships with veterinary medical associations and other professionals in order to build the capacity to help at-risk animals.
- Furthering the research and distribution of information on the connection between responsible animal care, public safety, and the common good.
- Publicize this research to both the public and policy planners.
Our Core Values:
- Animals and the communities they live in should be afforded safety and compassion. They should have the right to be free of the unnecessary suffering caused by overpopulation.
- Affordable high quality sterilization programs combined with public education offer the only way in which low-income communities can halt animal suffering in an economically sustainable manner.
- Developing collaboration between professional organizations, local humane organizations and municipalities or tribal entities are the only ways to reach underserved and unserved regions.